bobbyfaescotland

GSX1400 Brass

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 287 posts

Posted 06 May 2010 - 04:27 AM

http://www.bikegearw...Exhausts/2009_2

i got me self one .....$499 cheers chris

Well it arrived yesterday and I attempted to install it last night.

I can't seem to get it to stay clear of the underneath part of rear pillion footpeg. It was a tight fit to close the clamp and when I tighten it up the exhaust slightly touches the footpeg. I now have one small dent in it. I am going to have to try and look at it again to see if I can fabricate something.

I also had to take the centre stand off to fit a plate with a couple of rubber grommit's for the centre stand to rest on and I now cannot get the bloody springs back on.

What a night

#5 millsy

millsy

The Meat

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,288 posts

Posted 06 May 2010 - 04:46 AM

I can't seem to get it to stay clear of the underneath part of rear pillion footpeg. It was a tight fit to close the clamp and when I tighten it up the exhaust slightly touches the footpeg. I now have one small dent in it. I am going to have to try and look at it again to see if I can fabricate something.

I also had to take the centre stand off to fit a plate with a couple of rubber grommit's for the centre stand to rest on and I now cannot get the bloody springs back on.

What a night

Bummer!.....I remember when I had my centre stand off and had to get the missus on the floor with me to get those bloody springs back on. I think there's something on re-fitting in the members section.

#6 stick3

stick3

stick3

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,074 posts
  • Interests:home brewing, cooking ,bikes,traveling

Posted 06 May 2010 - 09:44 AM

What a night

Bummer!.....I remember when I had my centre stand off and had to get the missus on the floor with me to get those bloody springs back on. I think there's something on re-fitting in the members section.

bit of a bugger to fit.... i also put a tiny dent in the same spot u can only see it if u look at it length aways from the back but fuck it looks and sounds far better than the trombone..there a post here some where.... u use washers to keep the centre stand spring stretched,i havent done mine yet

#7 stick3

stick3

stick3

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,074 posts

Posted 06 May 2010 - 10:09 AM

found the link

http://www.gsx1400.o...acement-simple/

#8 bobbyfaescotland

bobbyfaescotland

GSX1400 Brass

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 287 posts

Posted 06 May 2010 - 08:33 PM

found the link

Wish I had read this before I removed the stand.

Got to think of a way of getting washers into the spring when it is off.

I also noticed that the exhaust is leaking slightly at the join to the collector. Would exhaust putty work for this

#9 stick3

stick3

stick3

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,074 posts

Posted 07 May 2010 - 05:57 AM

found the link

I also noticed that the exhaust is leaking slightly at the join to the collector. Would exhaust putty work for this

installed the stand stopper today was a pinch of piss....mate there are 135 pages of info in i help,

#10 bobbyfaescotland

bobbyfaescotland

GSX1400 Brass

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 287 posts

Posted 07 May 2010 - 06:44 AM

found the link

installed the stand stopper today was a pinch of piss....mate there are 135 pages of info in i help,

What is i help

#11 stick3

stick3

stick3

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,074 posts

Posted 07 May 2010 - 09:25 AM

apart of this forum, bottom of page above reply button there is a retangle box on this page it should read 'aussie kiwi'...next to it there is a little pointer click on it and the menu appears ...c&w, help...members and lots more just select by clicking on ,, help ,, and hit the go button

#12 bobbyfaescotland

bobbyfaescotland

GSX1400 Brass

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 287 posts

Posted 07 May 2010 - 09:38 PM

apart of this forum, bottom of page above reply button there is a retangle box on this page it should read 'aussie kiwi'...next to it there is a little pointer click on it and the menu appears ...c&w, help...members and lots more just select by clicking on ,, help ,, and hit the go button

There you go, learn something new everyday.

Thanks for that, and for all your help

#13 phat_stak_tipa

phat_stak_tipa

GSX1400 Bronze

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,030 posts

Posted 08 May 2010 - 02:53 AM

Gday mate i had some of the same probs when fitting my yoshi slip on, particularly the 'small dent' which i got over after i removed the baffle hehehe that sound cures everything!!

Oh and yeah the small leak in the collector join is fixed with some regular exhaust putty, i was very sceptical that it would work but after 10k and 18 months it still does not leak, oh yeah and if you have the baffle that is riveted in then you need to drill it out, but removing the baffle was a very hard ask hanging off it with pliers for about an hour, i doubt they are all like that though. Either way it worth the effort, baffle in sounds poxy.

#14 bobbyfaescotland

bobbyfaescotland

GSX1400 Brass

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 287 posts

Posted 08 May 2010 - 06:12 AM

Gday mate i had some of the same probs when fitting my yoshi slip on, particularly the 'small dent' which i got over after i removed the baffle hehehe that sound cures everything!!

Oh and yeah the small leak in the collector join is fixed with some regular exhaust putty, i was very sceptical that it would work but after 10k and 18 months it still does not leak, oh yeah and if you have the baffle that is riveted in then you need to drill it out, but removing the baffle was a very hard ask hanging off it with pliers for about an hour, i doubt they are all like that though. Either way it worth the effort, baffle in sounds poxy.

Think I will be leaving the baffle in, I have been pulled twice by coppers and each time they have checked my standard exhaust, so don't want to risk it.

I have fitted it now and it still sounds better than the standard trumpet.

#15 ArtieFufkin

ArtieFufkin

Easy Rider

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 04 December 2010 - 06:05 AM

Can I just say this - Mr Yoshi has got it wrong. The fitting instructions that is :rolleyes:

I know this is a too late for some, but I was also trying to fit the pipe and realised, before tightening that I was going to end up with a dent in the can.

I was about to send the can back to the supplier, but because I'm a lazy lazy man, and couldn't be bother re-fitting the trombone, I had another look, and tried it with the silencer band on the outside (the instructions say inside).

With the band on the outside, it took me about 45 minutes of grunting to get it close enough to get the bolt through with the band on the outside. I also managed to scratch some of the red laminate off the springs trying to get the band lined up. With the band on the the outside, it lined up perfectly first go and the bolt slipped through no problem. Tightened it up, and although its close, definitely not touching the rear foot peg.

From the inside out, I've put the nut, washer [mounting bracket] spacer, band, and then bolt. Also, I don't think it makes any difference which side the spacer is on [again, the instructions say the outside].

Also, no problems with backfires so I would say that's caused by the bracket sitting the wrong way.

I'm going to send BGW an email to let them know.

I'm not going to gloat, because I still managed to put a tiny ding in the can when the spanner slipped out of my hand after 21st go trying to get the band in place. :angry:

Hope this helps someone else!

#16 Rogues

Rogues

Black Knight of the Org

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,435 posts
  • Interests:Riding the Black Bitch's sister with a big arse, that goes 'off' like a shithouse rat.

Posted 04 December 2010 - 06:40 AM

Posted Image I'm gunna ask......... because I've read it somewhere before but.................

Did you guys loosen off the headers and link pipe to fit these........?? I'm sure I read that sometimes you have to in effect work forwards from the can when fitting/tightening up to get it to all come together........
....Knight of The Org - home of the 14....

..... I put 'Red Bull' in my coffee pot this morning instead of water, right now, I can SEE noises ... ...
Posted Image

#17 ArtieFufkin

ArtieFufkin

Easy Rider

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 05 December 2010 - 03:18 AM

I didn't. And the instructions don't say you need to. The only tricky part is getting the centre stand off and back on to fit a protective bracket (which stops the stand from swinging back into the can).

#18 stick3

stick3

stick3

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,074 posts

Posted 05 December 2010 - 11:01 AM

Posted Image I'm gunna ask......... because I've read it somewhere before but.................

Did you guys loosen off the headers and link pipe to fit these........?? I'm sure I read that sometimes you have to in effect work forwards from the can when fitting/tightening up to get it to all come together........

rogues , no and the link pipe and mufler are one piece ... i had no problems so far... i just made shaw the bolt and clamp were tight when hot and cold

Edited by stick3, 05 December 2010 - 11:33 AM.